MAC Powders: Studio Fix VS. MSF Natural

Sunday 23 March 2014


Studio Fix and MSF Natural are 2 popular powders from MAC yet they are quite different in coverage, texture and finish. So here's a quick rundown between the 2 and the one I prefer. Hopefully, this helps in choosing the one right for you.


MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation (Shade: C40, Price $32 CAD)


If you are looking for a easy to use, on the go,  full-coverage powder foundation this is the way to go. You can skip on the liquid foundation and just use this for those early mornings. It is definitely not a setting powder but you can use it as such if you use it lightly. This works great when your short on the time and still want to go for a full matte look to even your skin out. I used this daily for a year and still have a fair bit to go. I would simply put on concealer and powder with Studio Fix and I was good to go. I always carry this powder in my purse as it is excellent for on the go. It's very convenient to use as it comes with a mirror and a puff to use for touch-ups during the day.


But, this isn't my favourite powder to use. It can easily look very powdery/unnatural if you don't use an easy hand. When first applied this looks amazing but in a few hours it oxidizes on my skin (get darker/orange after couple of hours) and it also transfers so easily to clothing. I like to use Mac Fix+  or Urban Decay all-nighter which are liquid sprays, which really helps diminish the powdery finish and blend in more easily with your skin tone. If you have extra dry skin, you might want to keep away from heavy powders such as this or it just may accentuate your dry spots

 I am in the shade C40 in this powder, although I am usually a NC42 in foundation. Finding a shade in this powder was a mission! Especially because this powder tends to oxidize. NC42 seemed like a match but made me look much darker in a matter of minutes. NC40 was too light and made me look ashy around my chin/forehead (darker areas of my face). C40 was the perfect match for me, I would say it is a "NC41".


MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural (Shade: Medium Dark, Price: $35 CAD):


If you hate that cake face but still want a powder then you definitely need this! This powder is generally a love  or a hate for many. For me, it is an absolute love! I prefer this much more over the Studio Fix powder. This provides light to light-medium coverage. Its best to use as a setting powder over concealer or foundation. It has a very natural look to it and still provides light coverage without looking cakey. You never need to worry about looking to powdery with this. Its very finely milled and blends in well with my skin, rather than sitting on top. It also doesn't oxide (on me). Even dry skinned girls could use this powder, as it isn't a "powdery powder" and adds a nice glow to the skin. It does not come with a mirror or a puff as the Studio Fix powder does.

I am in the shade Medium Dark which fits my NC42 skin tone very well. I believe this shade would work for anyone between NC40 - NC44.



VERDICT


I prefer the MSF Natural because I hate the powdery, overly matte look that the Studio Fix can give me sometimes. I also don't like how Studio Fix oxidizes on me to an unattractive orangey hue after couple of hours. I still did use the Studio Fix religiously for over a year as it is good for on the go.  The MSF Natural gives me the perfect amount of coverage I need and gives a subtle glow. I personally prefer the glowy/dewy look over the matte one. So it depends on your skin type and what you're looking for.