Setting Sprays: MAC Fix + VS. Urban Decay All Nighter

Monday 5 May 2014

 
makeup-setting-sprays

MAC Fix + and UD All Nighter are both "setting or finishing sprays" for your face but they are really are not comparable to each other as they meant for completely different purposes. I love and use both sprays depending on my needs. One's great for a dewy look and another is great for long-lasting makeup.

MAC Fix + Skin-Refresher or Finishing Mist  


Described by MAC as:
 An aqua-spritz of vitamin and minerals, infused with a calm-the-skin blend of green tea, chamomile, cucumber, topped off with the fresh, natural, energizing scent of Sugi. Adds radiance, finishes makeup. Spray it on. Skin drinks it up!
It is often referred to as "just glorified-water" but I beg to differ as I think its an amazing, must-have product not just for makeup wearers. Fix + is a multipurpose product but it marketed as a Skin-Refresher or Finishing Mist for your face. I use it mainly to refresh and liven my makeup after a couple hours of wear when it's looking a little dull and flat. I also use it after applying my full-face of makeup to reduce that overly-powdered or "cakey" look we all hate. It also blends everything (powder, blush, bronzer, etc.) on my face together nicely. I don't how it does it, but after spritzing this all over on my face, my makeup just looks and feels so much more healthy, refreshed and dewy.

Fix + is a great product to carry in your bag for on-the-go touch-ups. It has a nozzle on it that can be locked and unlocked, so you don't need to worry about it spilling in your bag.  It is also great for traveling when you're stuffed up in airplane to refresh your face whether you are or are not wearing makeup. It comes in 2 sizes, 100 mL for $25 CAD and a sized-to-go one with 30 mL at $12 CAD.

mac fix +

Other uses:

- foil your eyeshadow to get more vibrant, long-lasting colours
- to spritz on your face brush before applying powder foundation to turn it to a more liquid consistency
- to spray on your beauty/blenders or sponge applicators before applying foundation
- to spray on your face BEFORE foundation as a moisturizer as it is made of all skin-loving & moisturizing    ingredients. 

Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray (by SKINDINÄVIA)  

Described by UD as:
A weightless setting spray that keeps makeup looking just-applied for up to 16 hours ... It actually lowers the temperature of your makeup to keep foundation, eyeshadow, blush, and concealer in place—even in hot and humid or cold and windy conditions. The result? Smoother-looking skin and vibrant makeup that lasts all day (or night) without melting, cracking, fading, or settling into fine lines.
ud allnighter setting spray

It is often refered to as "hair-spray for your face" which I totally agree with. Now, UD is making a pretty big claim that it makes your makeup look just applied even after 16 hours!? I rarely ever wear my makeup for more than 8 hours so its hard to say if this product lives up to the claim. However, I will say that YES it does make your make-up last alot longer  (several hours more) on your face and locks everything in place. I really noticed a significant reduction in smudging of foundation, powder, blush, bronzer, eyeshadow and even eye-liner. It's amazing how this keeps everything in place. But it doesn't work magic, of course there may be some slight smudging here and there if your touch/rub your face. I use UD All Nighter for special occasions and night-outs when I want my foundation to stay on looking flawless for extended hours regardless of whatever it is I am doing.

In respect to "refreshing" your makeup, I would say All-Nighter does do this to some extent as it does spritz liquid over your face but it does not bring the same moisture to your face as Fix + does. I do not use this daily nor recommend it for daily use as the one of the main ingredients in this spray is alcohol which is a known irritant. I know we all want our makeup to look flawless all day long, but we shouldn't sacrifice the health of our skin for it. This also comes in 2 sizes: 30 mL for $15 (CAD) and 118 mL for $36 (CAD).   

VERDICT

The only similarity between UD All-Nighter and MAC Fix + is that they are both sprays/mists for your face. Besides this, they are meant for entirely different purposes. They are both also along the same price-range. The only way to decide which one is best for you, is to know what you are looking for? Are you looking to prolong the longevity of your makeup or to refresh your makeup or both? If both, then perhaps, All-Nighter is the way to go BUT it does contain alcohol so it isn't best for daily use. Otherwise, I'd go for MAC Fix + as it does its job and is full of skin-loving ingredients.