5 Beauty Products Not Worth The Hype

Saturday 24 May 2014

over hyped beauty products

I may BREAK ALOT OF HEARTS with this... SO before I get into this: SO SORRY if these are YOUR HOLY GRAIL products!!! Please don't hurt me (LOL). I know these products are LOVED by many, but sadly they just didn't work out for me for different reasons--- I'm not saying they are absolute horrendous product rather that they didn't live up to the HYPE for me.

Now, I am a TOTAL SUCKER for hyped up beauty products. I tend to get into this little crazed frenzy until I am able to get my hands on them! That was exactly the case for these 5 products, I searched high and low to get them. I bought them simply based on the hype and sensation they had in the beauty community.
I've had all 5 of these products for a 1 year + and have A LOT of each product left, which speaks for itself. It is safe to say that I took my time to use them in different ways, but just couldn't come around to loving them. I barely EVER reach for any of these products anymore. They are literally in the bottom of makeup bag collecting dust. Trust me, I REALLY, REALLY wish I could have loved them. But they simply did not live up to their hype and my expectations. 

1. EVEPEARL SALMON CONCEALER (TAN)


 I cannot even believe literally how mental I went just to get my hands on this concealer (as its only sold online) cause of its "salmon or peach" colour. It was raved about its ability to miraculously conceal the darkest under-eye circles. I really don't get whats so special about this concealer. Yes, the peach/salmon undertones are great for counteracting dark-circles but there are TONS of other concealers similar and CHEAPER than this. This is a whopping $36 (US) for only 6.3 grams.

I kind of HATE this concealer, because of its texture. Its so... creamy and doesn't set. It creases almost instantly under my eyes. For those reasons, I'd say its NOT for OILY SKINNED GIRLS! Also, when set with a powder, it looks really cakey and turns into a odd orangey colour. The lasting power is  very poor as it wears off within a couple of hours. The packaging is quite cheaply made. The mirror of my container actually fell out once! Note that I barely ever even used this nor did i ever drop it, so the mirror randomly falling off is a clear indication of cheap material.So seriously, whats to love with this?!


2. REVLON COLOR BURST LIP BUTTER (PINK TRUFFLE):


 A lipstick + lip balm in  1 = Awesome, right?! NO! Okay, so I do agree that the concept behind this product was good but the product itself just went wrong. Firstly, this is way over-priced for a drug store "lip butter". I mean I could easily get a MAC lipstick for a couple more dollars. It is so SHEER and comes with such a small amount of product (compared to other lipsticks). It also easily melts in the packaging itself (nothing too extreme). I mean I barely even used this product and you can see in the picture below that there is only a little bit left.

I only own 1 shade of this lip butter which is "Pink Truffle". It was raved about being a neutral every-day colour, but its actually a lot BRIGHTER than it looks in the tube. All the colours in this lipstick range are on the bright, funky and fun side (for my taste).

1 swatch - its quite sheer

3. MAYBELLINE EYE STUDIO COLOUR TATOO EYESHADOW (BAD TO THE BRONZE):


  I am ONLY speaking about "Bad to the Bronze" Colour Tatoo as it is the only one I have tried--- this does not refer to ALL of the Colour Tatoos. Alright, so I do agree that this is super easy to use,  VERY long-lasting, highly pigmented and a multifunctional eye-shadow. So why don't I like it? The COLOUR!  It looks absolutely gorgeous in pictures/online but when tried on, it certainly is not. I thought it would a beautiful rich bronzey colour. But its more of just a super shiny, frosty & shimmering GLITTER BOMB with brownish-silver undertones. It has cooler undertones to it, I prefer warmer undertones  on my skin-tone. It doesn't compliment me really well even though bronze eye-shadows generally do suit my skin tone.  I would have absolutely loved this colour if it more so like the popular MAC Bronze eye-shadow for example.

I'm not labelling the colour tatoos as a bad product but simply that this colour is over-rated and doesn't suit my olive-medium skin tone.The colour is not a true bronze as the name implies.
Without Flash
With Flash
1 Swatch: doesn't it so frosty almost silvery

4. MAYBELLINE INSTANT AGE REWIND DARK CIRCLE TREATMENT CONCEALER (NEUTRALIZER):  


Firstly, if you are around my skin tone (Olive, NC 42) or any deeper than STEER AWAY!! Not only from the colour "Neutralizer" but from the entire concealer line, cause it is difficult to find a match for you (darkest shade is Honey).  It only comes in 6 shades which are all light to medium shades which are not at all suited for warmer complexions. (THANKS MAYBELLINE!!)

 I bought the shade Neutralizer as I had heard it is yellow based concealer ideal for highlighting. It is actually WAY TO LIGHT! It looks like a NC15-NC20 almost. On me it looks awful and whitish even as a highlight. What a waste, cause this stuff isn't cheap either, it is very over-priced for a drug store concealer (around $14-15 CAD). Again, just a few more dollars more and you would be able to get a higher-end concealer.
See how light and whitish Age Rewind Concealer in Neutralizer is in comparison to Studio Finish NW30 on the right.

 It is also incredibly unsanitary as it has a germ clinging sponge applicator. BUT, I will give it some points as it does not easily crease under your eyes and sets well because it isn't a cream based product. Basically, if you can find a shade match and consider removing the sponge-applicator then this may be a great product for you.


5. BEN NYE LUXURY BANANA POWDER:  


This one may come as the biggest SHOCKER on this list! I've only ever heard good things about this powder, so maybe it's just me. Ever since, Kim K's makeup artist revealed that this powder is used to highlight & set her under-eye area, the hype around this product literally BLEW UP overnight! I'm obsessed with makeup around my under-eye area due to my dark circles. I'm constantly looking for the BEST under-eye products to correct, conceal and highlight that area. I wanted to LOVE this as much as everyone else but sadly couldn't.

Here why:  The application of this product is always a DISASTER FOR ME. I absolutely hate the packaging of this product! It is almost impossible to use the product without making a wasteful mess with the container it comes in. For that reason, It is NOT good for quick on-the-go use. I have decanted some into a smaller jar-type container which makes it only a little easier to use. The brush you use to apply this powder really matters as well. Whenever I use synthetic densely packed brush, it picks up way too much product and again that can get very messy. The best type of brush to use is a small loosely packed brush such as a blending brush or a sponge-applicator. I've wasted so much product in just the application process of this powder.

The nozzle of the container: Super hard to work with!

The word "finely milled"  is always used to describe this powder...which is true, but it has a VERY powdery & dry look and feel to it. I've seen some girls use this as a all over face powder, but I couldn't imagine doing that cause its so drying. When I initially picked up this product over a year ago it was quite affordable at only around maybe $10 (CAD) or so but now the price has gone up steeply. What I do like about this product is the the yellow "banana" colour is great for highlighting  the under-eye area for warm skin tones like myself or darker. I have seen this powder make a huge difference on other people, but only see a slight difference when I use it. It might not workout for paler girls as it may be too dark. Nonetheless, for the reasons mentioned previously it is but not my favourite to reach for.

So those are my 5 over-hyped beauty products that I would NOT repurchase. But I do believe in second chances and think it is so wasteful to toss unfinished products away.  I will try to use them more often and see if anything changes.

WHAT ARE YOUR OVER-HYPED BEAUTY PRODUCTS THAT AREN'T WORTH IT?