All Time Favourite Beauty Oils

Friday 30 May 2014


I'm OBSESSED with oils! I love using them for my face, hair, body and so much more. The best thing about them is that they are 100% natural and full of skin-loving & healing ingredients. Here are my TOP 4 OILS FOR MY FACE

1. ARGAN OIL: 


 Who hasn't heard of this baby by now? It's my absolute favourite multipurpose oil  that I primarily as a moisturizer for my face. It is a very dry oil and unlike other oils it doesn't leave a greasy residue behind. Massage onto your face and skin quickly absorbs it in! I love to use this on make-up free days and on nights when I'm not applying other serums. Its my go-to product when my skin needs a break.

When I wake up in the morning after using this, my skin feels so soft, supple and refreshed. If you have dry skin, you could definitely use this as a moisturizer under your makeup as well. But since my skin is on the oily side, I do not. I use the Josie Maran 100 percent Pure Argan Oil (which is mega pricey), but I feel that you can use ANY 100% PURE, COLD PRESSED Argan Oil. Once I finish the Josie Maran one, I'll be purchasing it from any other affordable brand.
Properties: Rich in essential fatty acids, Vitamin E, Linoleic acid


2. ROSEHIP OIL:  


Second Runner up! This used-to-be my ultimate favourite facial oil for moisturizing until I discovered argan oil. It is also a "dry oil" but argan is slightly more dry. I was totally sold when I woke up the following morning after applying this for the first time. My skin was GLOWING! I looked so refreshed and awake. I've used this almost every night for around a year until I converted to Argan oil. This oil is said to have anti-aging properties as well as help to reduce acne scarring. Personally, I have not seen any DRAMATIC improvements on either that I can comment on, but I have heard that it has worked for others. 

Why did I make the switch to Argan Oil? Well,  only about 2 months ago I discovered that this oil may be a culprit in exacerbating my breakouts (note: NOT causing). After some research online, I found that some others reported the same and that rosehip oil may indeed have a connection with the worsening of breakouts. I immediately stopped using it daily and now my breakouts are much more under control. Regardless, rosehip oil still makes my favorites list! This is because I still do enjoy this oil whenever my skin is clear and behaving itself as I love the glow it gives my skin. But I am sure to steer away when I have pimples or feel any breakouts emerging.

Note: Pure rosehip oil is is a rich AMBER colour. Yet, there are brands that sell this as a completely clear oil such as the one by NOW Solutions (?!?!).  So, definitely ensure that you use 100% pure, cold pressed oil and that  it is amber coloured. I use the Cocoon Apothecary Organic Rosehip Oil Moisturizing Serum.

Properties: Rich in fatty acids, Linoleic acid, Provitamin A

Left: Cocoon Apothecary Rosehip Oil (amber coloured) | Right: Now Solutions Rosehip oil (clear)
 

3. TEA TREE OIL: 


Only THE BEST NATURAL PIMPLE FIGHTER ever! This is my go-to product to use whenever I feel even the slightest breakout emerging. I hit it with some tea tree oil to stop it in its tracks and BAM by the morning it is nearly GONE. For me, this has been most effective in "Stage 1" of a breakout, when it is just starting to form. After stage 1, tea tree oil is not as powerful at killing an already formed pimple (at least for me especially on those big, ugly zits).  It is said to be almost as effective as Benzoyl Peroxide, but a more natural alternative.

I use tea tree oil in its 100% form and do not dilute it with water to effectively treat pimples. But, FIRST TIME USERS, be warned this is a very potent essential oil especially when used in 100% form. I strongly recommend diluting with water for the FIRST few times you use it until you feel you need a higher concentration. Also, do not go crazy with this oil, only use it where and when you need it! I use the Desert Essence 100% Australian Tea Tree Oil

Properties: Antiseptic, Antifungal


4. VITAMIN E OIL:


 A secret Saviour! I have used this on my facial skin for different purposes...BUT it is the absolute best for your LIPS. Lips are on your face... so yes I count that as a face oil (Right?!--lets pretend it is lol). This stuff is AMAZING to get chapped-free, super soft and smooth lips! I apply this every night on my lips and it has worked wonders. My lips have never looked smoother. I've done a full review on Vitamin E Oil for Lips Here.

Now, I haven't seen much difference using Vitamin E oil on my face and actually really dislike the very thick & heavy feeling of this oil against my skin. I've used it as a DIY under-eye cream and also to reduce scarring but saw no real results. And so its a perfect match made for your lips!I use the Jamieson Brand 100% Pure Vitamin E Oil.

Properties: Rich in Antioxidants

 I love me some oils! Do you use oils in your skincare? What are your absolute favourites? Any recommendations?!