Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz Review

Tuesday 30 September 2014

anastasia beverly hills brow wiz in dark brown

Anastasia Beverly Hills has definitely taken the "eye-brow world" by storm. I think its safe to say that she has revolutionized the entity of "eyebrow" with all the various eyebrow products she offers. Now, it isn't the most affordable product out there "just" to fill/draw your brows - but her brow line seems to be an absolute HIT. So, clearly I had to be the bandwagon-jumper that I am and give it a shot (#NoShameInMyGame).

With the large range of ABH brow products out there, it took me a while to carefully choose the one right for me. I initially had my heart set on the dip brow pomade but I ended up opting for the Brow Wiz. This was for the sole purpose of convenience and easy use, since I am typically an on-the-go type of makeup girl 80% of the time.

Currently, my eyebrows are slightly on the thicker and full side, and so I only need define them a bit. Before purchasing the brow wiz, all I used was the good old ELF eyebrow duo kit (dark brown) for about a year. It did the job well, but it wasn't the absolute best for on-the-go.

Any who, lets get on to the details of the brow wiz, shall we...

anastasia beverly hills brow wiz in dark brown


PACKAGING:


The product comes in a sleek black and gold dual ended "pencil". The applicator side comes with with a automatic very fine pencil-like tip. You can turn it to dispense more product, so no sharpening necessary at all. The tip is also very firm/sturdy. I noticed that the tip still stays pointed no matter how much you use it, so no worries there.

The other side of the pencil is a good quality spoolie that can be used to brush out your brows. I am so thankful for the spoolie on the other end because I'm tired of using (...and losing) disposable mascara wands to brush out my eyebrows. No need to buy a sharpener, spoolie, or even an angled brush for application. So you get to save some money there and who doesn't love that!?

 

COLOUR:


I went with the colour dark brown (formerly known as brunette) for my black eye brows. I feel that it is the perfect colour for my black hair that blends in just right. Most girls that I've seen (on youtube, blogs, etc.) with black hair, either opt for the shade dark brown or ebony (1 shade darker). My eyebrows are naturally very dark black and bold, therefore I went with dark brown so that my brows don't end up looking too overpowering.

anastasia beverly hills brow wiz in dark brown
Left: Light swatch of Dark Brown | Right: Heavy swatch of Dark Brown (depends on pressure applied on pencil)

APPLICATION:


The brow wiz is a BREEZE to use. Of course, this depends on how much drawing on or filling in you've got to do on your brows. But, I will say that it is not easy to make mistakes or over do it with this because it applies very lightly. The more pressure you apply on the pencil, the deeper the colour shows up.

My eyebrows don't require too much filling, so what I do is probably really minimal. But here's what I do anyways:

To start off, I do very gentle strokes (without pushing hard) to fill in my inner brow. I simply make light strokes in a upward motion to resemble fine hairs (where needed). Then, on the outer brow (arch to the end), I apply slightly more pressure to define this area (following the natural shape of my eyebrow). Lastly, I just fill in any sparse areas with light strokes. I then finish by simply flipping the pencil over and brushing the brows with the spoolie to blend out any harsh lines.

Anastasia Brow Wiz Before and After
I know, it looks like I've done NOTHING. But trust me, I DID fill them in! (I just don't like them too defined/bold).  If you look closely in the After shot, the eyebrow is more defined than before.


WEAR-ABILITY:

 
It looks so natural, just like your own brows. It really blends right in and resembles your natural hair (given you've gotten the right colour). It's really hard for it to look over-done due to the light applicator as well. It also lasts all day long until you remove your makeup. I barely noticed any wearing off.


PROS

  • Super easy and convenient to use
  • Comes with spoolie on other end to brush brows
  • Automatic pencil so no sharpening needed
  • Tip is always firm and precise pointed
  • Large range of colours to choose from
  • Looks very natural
  • Lasts all day

CONS

  • Pricey at $27 CAD

If you're thinking of getting an ABH brow product, I'd totally recommend this one - especially if you don't have a whole 15 minutes to spare  everyday to do your brows. It so simple and easy to use. You don't need to go buy a bunch of different products (sharpener, anged brush, spoolie, etc.) just for your brows.  I think it would work with all types of brows from thick to thin - but would require more/less work accordingly. So yup, I'm a "ABH brow convert"!

You can buy it online here at Sephora.

What's your favourite brow product?