My Prep + Prime Routine

Tuesday 10 June 2014

A clean & smooth canvas is necessary for any work of art (Your face included)! 

A well prepped & primed face can make your base and overall makeup look just that much better! It can make the world of a difference, in my opinion. I don't do anything too fancy. I just follow a simple 3 step prime & prime routine I've put together before I apply any foundation/concealer. The combination of these products work very well together. I slightly mix it up depending on daytime or nighttime wear. I also always start with a freshly cleansed and toned face. These products are definitely for my oily-skinned girls/guys as I know the pain myself. TIP: I leave a 10-20+ second gap between applying moisturizer, primer and foundation. That way everything is absorbed well into the skin (& not all mixed together).

Lets start! These are my 3 steps and what products I use for each:

1. MOISTURIZE YOUR SKIN

2 Options:  SPF for daytime & SPF-Free for evenings/nights

Paula's Choice Resist Super-Light Wrinkle Defense SPF 30:

Get your SPF on! On my regular day-time makeup days, I always use a moisturizer with a SPF --- it is SO important! A moisturizer + sunscreen in 1 is great as it combines steps. Otherwise, I'd easily forget to apply a separate sunscreen. This is a great moisturizer with a built-in mineral/physical sunscreen. It has zinc oxide as the main active ingredient acting as a physical sunscreen. I prefer mineral sunscreens over chemical ones as they are safer (more info on Dr. Oz's Sunscreen Article). 

I love this moisturizer because it is light-weight, blends in well and has a full matte finish. Absolutely no shiny/oily look unlike other sunscreens. Its got a bit of a tint to it, which helps to avoid white casts. BONUS: Its got some anti-aging properties as well! I usually hate using moisturizers with SPF when I wear makeup cause of the shiny look, white casts & flashback---but I have no complaints with this one! I have found the one for me *love*.



Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel 


 An oily girl's BEST FRIEND! This is hands down my favourite SPF-free moisturizer to wear under makeup. My skin is on the oilier side and using any old moisturizer just does not cut it for me. Especially in the summer months! My skin can look like an oily slick by mid-day--- leading to a lot of blotting + powdering! I generously apply this all over my face, excluding  my under-eye area.

This gel is light-weight and oil-free. It hydrates my skin without looking or feeling at all greasy. It blends so beautifully into my skin--- its invisible once on. It has a matte finish and leaves me with soft, smooth & shine-free skin. The moisturizer you use under makeup truly does matter!--- I learned that the hard way. An oil-free moisturizer with a matte finish like this one has really helped with oil control. This gel is SPF-free which is what I love to use when I want a flawless finish especially for night-outs, without having to worry about flashback/white casts.


2. MOISTURIZE UNDER-EYE AREA

 

Origins GinZing Refreshing Eye Cream:  


An early morning wake-me-up! I use less than a pea sized amount to apply under my eyes and on my eyelids. Personally, I don't believe that a special eye cream is necessary as I mentioned in my Breaking 5 Common Beauty Myths  post. BUT, I really believe this eye-cream STANDS OUT from other eye creams. It does MUCH MORE than simply moisturizing the area.  It BRIGHTENS! It has the tiniest specs of shimmer in it. SHIMMER? No, it isn't anything crazy! It's barely noticeable when applied. Yet, it gives off a slight sheen and radiance that brightens & highlights the area.

Origin claims that it is "a clinically-proven eye cream that instantly de-puffs and reduces dark circles". Personally I'd say it does NA-DA to reduce dark circles! But, it does slightly help to de-puff the under eye area which is the work of the caffeine + other ingredients in this. It immediately feels SO refreshing and soothing when applied---especially for early mornings of late nights. A little goes a long way and this tiny container will probably be enough to last me years!

Its got a bit of sheen to it.

3. PRIME THE SKIN

 

Smashbox Photofinish Foundation Primer: 


 To prime or not to prime? That is a question I've been trying to answer myself for a long time! For years I've gone without a primer and only recently added it to my routine. Smashbox has a ton of different primers to choose from, all meant to do different things--- the one I use is the original iconic formula. I apply the tiniest amount of this on my face focusing around my T-zone and cheeks (where I tend to get get oily). But does this really make any difference? Well, here's what Smashbox says its meant to do:
Create a perfect canvas for foundation application with this silky, lightweight blend of vitamins A & E, grape seed extract and green tea. Worn alone or under foundation, our best-selling, oil-free primer helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and pores for flawless skin with a velvety-smooth finish.
I personally do not have fine lines or large, visible pores (as far as I have noticed *YET--eeks*) so I can't speak to that. But, YES! I totally agree that this is a very light-weight formula that makes your skin feel ever so silky, velvety, smooth and ready for foundation. I feel that this primer creates a barrier between my skin and any makeup I apply. My foundation tends to stick on for longer as well. Its also rich in antioxidants which is always a plus!

Have I seen dramatic results giving this a HG status? NOT YET! Is a primer really necessary?! Well...I'm still experimenting with it under different conditions, weather and so on. I'll update when I have a solid opinion. Either way I love to use this as extra protection when I want a flawless, long-lasting finish.


Now, my face is prepped, primed & ready to go "paint" with makeup!


What are your Prep & Prime Products to perfect your base?