Summer Sun-Protection Essentials

Tuesday 17 June 2014


Maxi dresses, flip-flops, & popsicles.  Summer is FINALLY here! At last, Good ol’Mister Sun has decided to come down and pay us a visit here in Canada! With 9 months of cold--- we, Canadians, CHERISH our 3 months of hot summer weather. Oh, how I envy any of you with hot weather all-year-long!

 As much I love the bright summer sun & shine, it is so important to be sun protected.  Extended exposure to the sun leads to premature aging of the skin, wrinkles, dark spots, sun burns and even skin cancer. FACT: the sun IS a carcinogen. Even minutes in the sun unprotected can start doing its harm.  And NO sun protection is NOT just for the BEACH---but every day –sun, rain, clouds.

Here are my top 5 essential picks to be sun safe: 

All day, every day! The SINGLE most important thing you can do for your skin is SUNSCREEN, SUNSCREEN & SUNSCREEN. This is NUMBER #1 before all your anti-aging, firming, dark-spot erasing creams and what not. In the past, I have been SO bad & lazy with suncreen—I hardly EVER used it. I really believed it was only for the beach (horrible- I know!). But I upped my game the past year with regular sunscreen use & have noticed a HUGE difference in my skin.  I kid you not! --- Acne scars lightening, hyper-pigmentation decreasing, and a more evened skin tone. None of my creams/masks/exfoliants had a real effect without this (cause the sun was just damaging it on a daily basis).

 Use a sunscreen with atleast SPF 30 or more of broad spectrum protection (UVA and UVB protection).  I prefer mineral/physical sunscreens with either zinc oxide or titanium dioxide as the main active ingredients. As they sit on the skin reflecting harmful rays whereas chemical sunscreens are absorbed into the skin. (Here’s an article on chemical vs. physical sunscreens if you’re interested ).  I use Paula's Choice Resist Super-Light Wrinkle Defense SPF 30 which is a moisturizer + SPF. I've done a short review on this in my Prep and Prime Routine post--- in short I love it to bits!


 I use a different sunscreen for my body--- as I’m picky with what I use on my face (some sunscreens can look shiny, greasy, have white casts, flashbacks, etc.). Apply a broad spectrum SPF 30+ sunscreen to all uncovered body parts-- arms, legs, hands, neck and don't forget your feet in those flip-flops!

If your not sun-blocking the area, then be sure to cover it with clothing (long sleeves, long pants, etc.). On my current must have WANT LIST is La Roche –Posay ANTHELIOS 50 MINERAL Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid. La Roche Posay are KNOWN for their sunscreens---my brother who is SPF-fanatic SWEARS by them!


Don’t forget about your LIPS! Use a lip-balm with a SPF. I use Maybelline Baby Lips Lip Balm with a SPF of 20. It looks and works just as great as any other lip-balm. I use the shade/flavor Pink Punch and I LOVE it! There are plenty of lip-balms out there with a higher SPF as well.


Protects your eyes + a stylish accessory! I cannot live without sunglasses especially in the summer months. If I ever forget them while driving I will literally drive back home just to get them cause I’m so blinded otherwise.  UV rays can harm the lens, cornea & surrounding tissue of the eyes and lead to problems such as cataracts--- SCARY STUFF. Also, no sunglasses=squinting = wrinkles! So be sure to always wear UV-protection sunglasses when in the sun.  I’ve been lusting over these Classic Aviator Raybans for just about forever!

I’m pretty bad on keeping up with this one myself because I always FORGET! A wide-brimmed hat will have the most cooling effect on your head, eyes and face. I'm not feeling those summery beach straw hats... I’m much more into a sleek wide brimmed black hat like above from Topshop.  This ones Its less “beachy” or "cow-girly" and not too floppy looking. It definitely goes with more outfits and is practical for everyday.

On that note, GO OUT AND GET YOUR SUMMER ON! – but don’t skimp on the sun protection!

 What are your top summer picks and sunscreen recommendations?!